Wednesday, April 29, 2009

TO-MAY-TO, TO-MAH-TO! PO-TAY-TO, PO-TAH-TO! MAR-KET-ING, EVE-RY-WHERE!!!

During these difficult times, I'm hearing more and more that marketers are the ones being let go first.

WHY?!?!?

Yes, yes, you have every right to assume I'm biased, but the facts speak for themselves. Let's look at the major departments within an organization:

Accounting - Money's going down the drain, but somebody's got to count it!
I. T. - Company's going down, but at least the server is operating as it should!
Human Resources - Time for layoffs.....somebody's got to be the bearer of bad news!
Marketing - Who needs marketing?? Is that H.R. knocking on your door??

Companies need to understand the importance of marketers. We're not just useful for advertising, or P.R., or sales.....without us, companies wouldn't last their first month!

Take a look at what you're wearing right now. Nike shoes, Reebok socks, Levi jeans, H&M tee, Mexx cardigan, New Era cap, Diesel watch, Ray Ban sunglasses, Jansport backpack (this combo doesn't sound too stylish, but please bear with me).....that's 9 different brands you're advertising!!!

Think quick, who would you call if you wanted to save money on car insurance? I'm willing to bet that over half of you named one of two insurance companies; the one you're currently using, or GEICO. Alright, alright, I'm not proposing that you spend millions on advertising, but the important fact is top-of-mind awareness.

This is it for part one. I could rant for pages and pages on the importance of marketers, but I don't want to steal too much of your time.......and I don't have to think of another topic for tomorrow's post! For now, do you agree? Disagree? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment